Can I have an electric oven??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ive just moved house and are having a new kitchen fitted soon. My problem is buying a decent built under gas double oven as they are few and far between as we havent loads to spend. Ive been told I could have an electric double oven which would mean lots more choice but I thought we would need the proper electric cooker cable?? The person who told me I could have one said they just plug into the normal mains. Is this right?
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Check the power rating for the ovens you are looking at.

Generally speaking, a gas hob is better than an electric hob; but an electric fan oven is better than a gas one (except that it may not put a good skin on rice puddings).

A typical UK or European SINGLE oven uses about 10 amps/is rated at 2500watts/2.5 kW and this can be plugged in to an ordinary socket. A 13A plug and socket can supply up to 13Amps/about 3000Watts/3kW max.

A double oven will usually exceed this power, so cannot safely be plugged in to a socket. If you attempt to plug in a double oven you can expect that from time to time, when you are using both ovens, it will blow the fuse.

If you are having the kitchen rewired by a proper electrician (preferably not by a kitchen fitter) it is usually a good idea to provide a circuit for an electric cooker. 32Amps is the usual power to supply which is sufficient for ordinary UK cookers. A huge "range" cooker with three ovens and six burners needs more. Very many kitchens already have a circuit for an electric cooker.

Thanks for that. Weve ordered a gas hob and its a double oven I want. There are already ample sockets in the kitchen at the moment and as the kitchen is small we can only replace the units like for like so no additional sockets will be needed. Looks like we are going to have to get a gas oven afterall.
Thanks again, its really appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back