Can I lay my own gas pipe under concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just a quick question, I will be laying a DPM and concrete floor in an out-house we are converting to a utility room.

Before I do this, I need a gas pipe to go from the existing boiler to our new kitchen on the other side of the building.

Am I allowed to lay a new gas pipe and then pour the new floor over it, and get a gas fitter in to connect up both ends at a later date? I dont really want to pay him to come out until we are ready to connect everything.

Just to clarify, I wont be touching any live gas pipes.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure you plumber would be happy with that and you would be best to ask him first. Alternatively you could run a length of plastic piping to create a conduit for it as i'm sure there are regs for the type of pipe used and the yellow coated soft copper may not be suitable.

Best ask your plumber what he'd be happy connecting up afterwards as you could get very good and accurate advice on here but he may think different and refuse to use it.

It might not be as simple as just laying a pipe and covering it in concrete. For example, I think drains must be laid in gravel with a limit on the maximum particle size.

Sponsored Links
Have I missed something? Drains/gravel :?:

Probably.

Regards the gas pipe:

No registered gas bod is gonna be happy with what you are proposing.

It is possible to install pipes within a concrete floor provided the (copper pipe) is protected with denso or similar and that no voids are present around the pipe.

the minimum depth of concrete screed over the top is 25mm and the pipe must be protected against corrosion / mechanical damage. it must also be kept to a minimum

Have I missed something? Drains/gravel :?:
I was only saying that SOME pipes (e.g. drains) laid under concrete must be allowed to move in loose aggregate that won't puncture them (according to regs), so don't expect gas pipes to be simple.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back