Can I make a complaint to Building control

B

Bodd

Hello all

I have just had an extension. I'm not happy with a few things. I had faith that they would sort out and have paid in full. Can I make a complaint with my local authority or is there some one else who would inspect the work done.

Bod

Sponsored Links
It's not the LA's responsibility to check for potentially bad workmanship or even to mediate between a builder and his client.

Can you be more specific?

If you need work inspecting then you need to pay for a building surveyor, which won't be cheap. That way, IF, you go legal then you're already prepared.

There are s few things but one I noticed yesterday is were they combined the new roof of my front extension to the old roof I can see day light and plenty of it

Bod

Sponsored Links
There are s few things but one I noticed yesterday is were they combined the new roof of my front extension to the old roof I can see day light and plenty of it

Bod
Is there no felt? Or are you hunting for problems? I can see daylight through bits if my roof but it does not mean that it is not watertight.

As the guys have said this is nowt to do with BC.

Don't have to hunt all to obvious.

Im a plumbing heating engineer. It's all about saving energy gaps in the roof might keep the birds warm but not good for keeping heat in

Bod

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 167
That's not a dry valley.
It's not acceptable no. There is no felt. Hence my question in earlier post.

In fairness the felt would have nothing to do with them as that's the old tiles to the right Were you can see day light towards the middle is my concern. This is were new roof meets old roof. I pulled ceiling down they were not to know I was going to renew the ceiling.

Bod

Irrespective of whether you had visual access or not, what they have done is not acceptable.
The valley they have installed is a standard 'wet' valley, meaning the tiles on both sides (new and old) should be bedded in mortar. A dry valley has a central up-stand to alleviate the need for mortar and wind blown rain etc. There should have been a run of felt beneath the valley in any case.

Pants job.

Thank you Noseal
I think it's a pants job as well.

If I don't look out for problems now it'll be to late.

Surley building control would need to pass this

Bod

Don't have to hunt all to obvious.

Im a plumbing heating engineer. It's all about saving energy gaps in the roof might keep the birds warm but not good for keeping heat in

Bod
The insulation detail on any roof is either at or below the rafters. Anything that goes on above that line, i.e. felt, lath and tile level has nothing to do with keeping in heat. In fact, any gaps etc has the desired effect of ventilating any moist air that may migrate past any vapour barriers etc.

A typical detail would be tiles, battens, breathable membrane, 25-50mm air gap, 100mm Celotex between rafters with joints foil taped, 50mm celotex across rafters with joints foil taped and 12.5mm foil backed boards with skim.

Last edited:
Thank you Noseal

Bod
Building Control will only be interested in the roof carcass and whether the tiles are suitable for the pitch. The quality of the tiling is not their concern. They may want to look at the insulation detail, but a lot don't. Has this job been designed or specified?

Thank you Noseal

Bod
Building Control will only be interested in the roof carcass and whether the tiles are suitable for the pitch. The quality of the tiling is not their concern. They may want to look at the insulation detail, but a lot don't. Has this job been designed or specified?

I had plans drawn up but very little detail. Ill post on the roofing section and see what they say.

I need to get my facts right before I approach them. But seeing what you see do they have a defence?

thanks for being helpful

Bod

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back