can i move hot water cylinder to ground floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have small house with a bathroom and bedroom radiators and a hot water cylinder on the first floor. the central heating system has a big water tank in the loft and also a little tank next to it both are vented the gas boiler is in the downstairs kitchen appox 1500 up from the floor it has two pipes coming out the top going into the ceiling. the hot water cylinder has a pump and valve with two pipes going to it and one connecting to the cylinder can i move the cylinder/reroute pipes pump and valve to the ground floor ie below the height of the boiler and also 3meters away from the boiler if i could do this , would i have get a different pump or change the pipe size thank you

Sponsored Links
You can stick a cylinder on a fully pumped system anywhere you want, same pump will do the job.

thanks bengasman, if i go ahead and move the cylinder downstairs im a bit worried that i will get less water pressure on the bath and sink taps upstairs than ive got now is this right ?

No, it will still be the same. The cylinder is still getting fed from the storage tank in the loft, this is what determines the pressure & flow, if you lower the height of the tank in the loft then that will reduce the pressure & flow.

Sponsored Links
thanks bengasman, if i go ahead and move the cylinder downstairs im a bit worried that i will get less water pressure on the bath and sink taps upstairs than ive got now is this right ?
If you say so, I assume that it is true that you are worried. No need to as the difference will not be noticeable.

I think you need to be certain you know what you are doing before you start.

Much more information about the boiler and type of system would go a long way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back