Can I paint fireboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just moved into a new house which has a garage made out of fireboard but it's ugly and grey.

Can I paint fireboard? Ideally I'd like to paint it white.

If so what sort of paint would I use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Painting fireboard is not advisable, no.

However, it will be devaluing the property. Consider pulling it down and replacing with a car port or a brick-built garage, which will add value.

It's not aspestos, I've checked, we can't pull it down as too expensive.
Is there any reason we couldn't paint it?

Sponsored Links
Gyproc Fireline, Knauf Fireboard and Glasrock Fireboard can all be painted, so, if you have any of these products, you can paint them. Other products may not be paintable so check what you have first. It's unlikely to be Glasrock in a garage as it has a very smooth, almost marble-like finish, which doesn't really need to be decorated.

As you say it's a 'new house', I'm assuming you mean the garage is dry-lined with fireboards, rather than 'made out of fireboards', which are usually just taped and joined then left bare as a cost saving exercise.

EDIT:

Ah, this post makes me think I've got the situation wrong:

It's not aspestos, I've checked, we can't pull it down as too expensive.
Is there any reason we couldn't paint it?

...but at least the info may help someone else in a future search. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back