can I plastic slate a conservatory roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a property recently that has a small victorian style 5 sided conservatory on it. It is about 20 years old but the doors and glazed walls are in very good condition and look much younger. The roof however is polycarboante and isnt in that good a way.

The roof panels have slipped and the guttering is siliconed all the way round so access to try and push them back is very difficult without cutting away the guttering.

I dont like conservatorys with clear roofs as they are too hot in summer and cold in winter.

Could I batton accross the aluminium structure and slate it with these recycled plastic slates?

Anyone done this got any advice or pics?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont like conservatorys with clear roofs as they are too hot in summer and cold in winter.
Dealing with the roof will only improve things marginally as far as heat loss/ingress is concerned.

As for plastic slates???

Even if the roof could take the weight, why would you?

Dealing with the roof will only improve things marginally as far as heat loss/ingress is concerned.

As for plastic slates???

Even if the roof could take the weight, why would you?

Ideally Id take the thing down as I agree with most on here also who suggest conservatory's are a waste of time, especially in Scotland! But if like me you have bought a house with one and dont have the £20k needed to wipe it out and build the sunlounge with insulated pitched roof and dwarf wall for example to make it habitable all year round then you have to make do and hopefully spend a considerable amount less and come to some compromise.

I think the slate effect tiles would look more appealing that the sheets of polycarbonate which look like something off a glorified greenhouse!

Sponsored Links
If it's not leaking then board it out from underneath with insulated PB. It makes loads of difference. A polycarb roof is good for stopping the rain and little else.

You can buy sheets that look like slates, and just slot in like twinwall

Why don't these ducking old threads get archived, with an automatic ban on anyone who tries to resurrect them?

Dunno why they don't have an auto lock after a couple of months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back