Can I re-plaster over new plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plastered part of my chimney-breast and I want to plaster the rest of it.
Should I firstly plaster the top bare bit of the wall and then apply a second coat over the entire chimney-breast? If not, what would yo suggest?

Sponsored Links
If it were me I'd put on angle beads on all edges, pva the whole thing, put a very thin coat of bonding, pva again and skim.

You have bookcase there too though which makes it a bit akward to do, maybe you can get away with just the front and without angle beads... a pro will advise!

If it were me I'd put on angle beads on all edges, pva the whole thing, put a very thin coat of bonding, pva again and skim
Thanks. I can put on angle beads to protect the edge of the fireplace opening. What material should I use for the coat of bonding?

Thanks. I can put on angle beads to protect the edge of the fireplace opening. What material should I use for the coat of bonding?
You buy bags of multifinish, bonding, and hardwall plaster.. You can probably get away with just using a couple of coats of pva, but I have a habit of having a thin coat of bonding plaster - gives me more time to put on the multifinish (as I am a DIYer)

Sponsored Links
You wont need bonding! pva followed by a couple of coats of multi over the lot will do.

You wont need bonding! pva followed by a couple of coats of multi over the lot will do.
Thanks Alastair. I appreciate the advice! What's a good ova to use. I looked it up on the builders depot website and there's a veriaty of ova at a big range of prices

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back