Can I remove this studwork or will it be supporting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1970s house. Stairs are in two parts, with a half landing.
Have an understair cupboard ideally I would like to extend under the half landing.
Removed some plasterboard to find studwork blocking access....- see photo (floor underneath is boarded - so that's a positive)
Is the stud work likely there just to support the plasterboard or will have a more major role supporting the top half of the stairs?
(Old gas mains pipe will be going ..have gas board on to it)

(I have this kind of stairs and cupboard in current house...find the low bit under half landing handy for storing things like power tools safe & dry rather than shed/garage...and less hassle than attic)

Sponsored Links
Would it not have been wiser to provide an image that shows the top of the stud and the landing etc?

Is there a full height newel post or indeed a newel post at all where the stairs turn on the half landing?

Sorry - don't live there at moment and thought I had got better photos until I came to upload (lots of duplicates -don't know how I managed that)
Hopefully these I have anyway might help...
From bottom of stairs
from top

Also this is a picture of current house - which is similar kind of stairs...
(although in this house it was already open as the door to original cupboard -where childs bike is)

Thought :oops: maybe you could tell from size of studwork or way that the uprights are sitting on top of the horizontal one on the floor...
would be good to know if you need any measurements/other photos and I can get them tomorrow...
(stud threw me so left rest of plasterboard as less to patch if I can't move it and have to close it up again ....)

Looking at the images, i would say that the stair stringer is fixed to the side walls and is not borrowing any support from the studs.

However, the studs may be supporting the landing, unless there are joists either built into or fixed to the walls.......?

stairs%2013%20cr.jpg

Sponsored Links
I shall check today ....
I know in this house the joists run into the wall ... but not sure about there - the wall on either side of the stairs are brick/block so are supporting - (rest of internal walls are plasterboard...)
(Was really surprised the floor was boarded - it must have been sealed up since construction - found workmen's junk in there - a 1973 sun newspaper and a few food wrappers....11p for a meat pie- those were the days!)
Just thought - I bet nothing in meat pie ever went 'neigh' either...

No - more likely it )went 'woof'!
possibly ...not going to think about it ...but thanks for making me laugh! :D

Sorry for slow reply ...
However, the studs may be supporting the landing, unless there are joists either built into or fixed to the walls.......?
The frame seems to be nailed to the block walls - the joists don't go into the wall...although on the equivalent bit under the stairs going up there isn't a similar support in the middle...if that makes sense ?!?
I tried to do a diagram but couldn't get it right... I wanted to take photos but needed the flash - so camera not phone - and when I eventually remembered to take it with me found it had broken....(and then my PVR broke the next day :cry: ) - have now got new camera so should be able to get photos on Mon...sorry again....

If in doubt consider it supporting, therefore look to put something in in it's place. By that, I would think only half of the half landing will be accessible, from the lobby, so check; is the support lower half of stairs other than the half landing; if so can you bridle this to carry the load to suitable framing on the other side of the proposed section?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back