Can I render over this 70s decorative block garden wall please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, DIYnot newbies here!

We are keen to do something to improve this wall in our front garden - very much on a tight budget as we are saving up for major repairs in the house (fyi our neighbours are good friends and on board with the plans).

We haven't rendered anything before, but could we plug the gaps in the decorative concrete blocks somehow and then render over the whole wall with a rough, sandy finish and then paint the render dark grey?

The goal is to fully disguise the fact that the wall is made of different types of block and give it a uniform look.

Any thoughts on how to fill the gaps and the render / other materials and tools to use would be very gratefully received. If we know the name of the render type / techniques etc we can hopefully find the right how-to videos (so far I haven't been able to find videos that cover these decorative blocks, even though they're pretty common)

Thanks so much!
IMG_1790.jpg
IMG_1791.JPG

Sponsored Links
Might be able to do it with expanding foam, but I would imagine it will be a bal***he how ever you do it.

Screw some board onto one side of the wall and use my patented 'cement fling' method to fill the holes in those bricks. You could do it in stages until the gaps are filled. That should then give you something to render on to. If you’re not that good at getting a nice flat finish, just stipple it or put some swirls in it with a damp sponge and then paint it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back