can i replace my hot water system with this.......

Sponsored Links
You can do. At 8kW it's about as powerful as an electric shower, and about a third of the power of a normal gas combi boiler. Depending on your electrics the lights might flicker every time you turn on a hot tap. When the incoming mains water is colder, it may struggle to heat the water adequately unless you reduce the flow to a trickle.

An alternative could be something like this. Because there's a small reservoir of hot water it doesn't need to nuke the water so is lower wattage. It has time to heat the water so temperature should be more stable. Downside is if you use up all the hot you have to wait 20 minutes for it to replenish.

There's 2kw and 3kw versions, 10 and 15 litre versions, upward facing pipework (undersink unit) and downward facing pipework (oversink). And of course other brands. Read the instructions before buying, you may have to get an expansion kit depending on your pipework.

Does Orkney still have a diesel power station?

Check with them before you add another 9 KVA to the island load.

If there is any large distance between the heater and the bathroom
it will take an age to get hot water to it.

Better to have one that stores 15-30 litres under the sink
and only uses a normal 3kw element.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you have a timer on your immersion and only have it on for an hour a day, or less? (experiment)

This should just give you enough hot water for what you need.

Dont you have a shower or bath?

Or do they still use tin baths in front of a peat fire?

The Zip Inline might have been ideal, but as you have a kitchen sink your going to need a higher temp delivered than 38 degrees. You can increase the temp but your going to reduce the flow rate a lot. For 55 degrees the flow rate will be about 2ltrs a minute!

If you really wanted to go the undersink, then I'd be looking at one of these -

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/...risma_EP15UR_3kW_Under_Sink_Water_Heater.html

I have fitted a few of these, but for one outlet applications. They have performed well and Ariston do say they can provide for multiple outlets.
It is an unvented unit though, so some thought would be required as in regards to temp/pressure relief pipe runs and if an expansion vessel would be required. On the unit's I have installed I was fortunate, the main cold water feed being such a length that it could take the expansion. But your chosen unvented qualified installer will know about this ;)

They are quite a bulky item btw.

Looks very similar to the one I suggested - the Crown one looks good too and is cheaper.

Yes it will handle multiple outlets as long as the mains pressure and flow is good - have just put one in at a cafe to supply the rest rooms. But of course if you run two or three taps at the same time you deplete the reservoir quicker.

Re compliance with regulations: in England 15 litres is the maximum size you can install without needing an unvented qualification, don't know if this is the same in Scotland (it's from Building Regs Part G). This is why nobody manufactures a 16 litre heater. Just read the instructions online as they tell you if you will need to order the extra kit (eg expansion vessel/pressure reducing valve). It depends on the distance of taps upstream from the unit and so on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back