Can I reverse my CH/HW Pump

Last recommendation you made was "Don't forget to make your new cold feed up-and-under, to reduce convection warming of the F/E tank and encouraging algae growth".
I'm thinking this is a S bend to stop the convection heat going to the expansion tank. Just wondered as opposed to do it at the expansion tank "Option 1" whether I could do it at the Boiler feed side "Option 2"
I've done a diagram to illustrate both options. I'm hoping I've made the right assumption.

Attachments

• Convection.PNG
    Convection.PNG
    479.2 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
I'm thinking this is a S bend to stop the convection heat going to the expansion tank. Just wondered as opposed to do it at the expansion tank "Option 1" whether I could do it at the Boiler feed side "Option 2"
I've done a diagram to illustrate both options. I'm hoping I've made the right assumptio

Yes, Option 2 is the usual way, exactly what I had in mind.

Hi, just wanted to say all working. Better than it's ever been.
Thanks for all your help

Sponsored Links
Was your original system working OK without any problems?.
Is your boiler oil or gas fired?.

Original set up resulted in warmish radiators. Now they are a lot hotter. No adjustment to the boiler, just seems to be working as it should.

My oil fired (S plan) system layout is somewhat similar but has a combined Vent&Cold feed (below) installed over 50 years ago with somr rads over 40 years old, one, in the attic converted bedroom, does run under a very slight vacuum but its never been a problem, on the odd occasion that I check its vent with the circ pump off I get water immediately. It would be interesting if the OP checked his bedroom rad vents while running especially if the boiler is gas fired which have a far greater HEX resistance compared to a oil fired which has practically none.
Even the recommended VCP, Vent, Cold feed (within 150mm of each other) then Pump; sometimes suffer from pump over and have been "cured" by combining them.

Attachments

• Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 13

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back