Can I rewire and certify the work as a non-qualified electrician?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just paid an electrician thousands for a rewire, which frankly I could have done myself.

What I would like to ask is whether legally, could I do this myself?

The builder who managed my project, actively discouraged my attempts to the work because

1. He wanted his electrician mate to earn some money

2. He said that I would require a certificate which the electrician needs to sign off

Is there any truth to the certificate part? As a non-qualified electrician what is the work around this?

Sponsored Links
Can I fly a helicopter?

Anyone is allowed to do electrical work and fill out required certificates but that you are asking the question likely means you do not know how to do it.

As a non-qualified electrician what is the work around this?
What is a non qualified electrician? Do you mean you have served an apprenticeship as an electrician in a different industry but don't have the qualifications to be recognised as competent to do & sign off the work. If so the council building inspectors may arrange to inspect first & second fix as long as you can provide test details & and relevant installation certificate. For a fee of course.

Sponsored Links
2. He said that I would require a certificate which the electrician needs to sign off

Is there any truth to the certificate part? As a non-qualified electrician what is the work around this?
You need to notify BC and pay their fee before you start. You will need to sign that you designed and tested the work. Without qualifications BC won't accept you and will send their own tester round for another big fat fee.

MR Sparkle, look up part P of the building regulations, it allows for DIY work ;)

Part P is one sentence that basically says work must be done safely.

More important is that some items are notifiable to building control one of which is a rewire.

I think it would depend whether your LABC will accept an EICR in lieu of an EIC. Mine did.

I think it would depend whether your LABC will accept an EICR in lieu of an EIC. Mine did.
If the work is a 'fait accomplis' and, for some reason, an EIC is not available, then an EICR is surely the only thing they could possibly expect (even if they commissioned it themselves), isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back