Can I run pipes under the ceiling instead of under floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive currenty got the ceiling down in my kitchen directly below my bathroom. Im compleatly refiting my bathroom. To get around the fact i cant notch the flooring joints excessily for my waste pipe for the shower i want to run it below the flooring joists and then lower the ceiling with battens ect.

Because im having exspoded copper pipes in my bathroom with marble on the floor its going to be easyer. And neater if i fit the marble and drill holes where i need it and plumb the bathroom up from underneath. Running the pipes below the joists like with the waste.

If anything went wrong in the futcher it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to rip plasterboard up and replaster compaired to ripping the marble and backing boards off the floor.

Is what i want todo aloud and a exspeptial soilution?

Sponsored Links
As long as you're not notching the joist from underneath then yes, no issue with what you propose.

Only issue you may have is ensuring that no-one drills or screws into the pipework once the ceilings up when it comes to installing light fittings etc and you will need to keep pipework well away of electric cabling and fittings.

Yup, as Madrab said,

Also, remember to suitably support your pipework on the underside of the beams, otherwise the weight of it will rest on your new ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Sweet. Cheers lads.

Ill be doing the rewire as well so that shouldn't cause any problems. Ill run it around the room next to the walls so I know where they are for future reference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back