Can I strip the bottom row of slates?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some fascia and cast iron gutter to replace on a big farmhouse,I'm bound to need to get at the rafters somewhere,is it possible to strip the bottom couple of courses or so of slates to carry out repairs/add breathable felt etc?

Sponsored Links
The problem with slate roofs is that the fixings of each subsequent course of slates is covered by the next course as you ascend the roof. The easiest course to remove and fix back is the top course. The bottom course can be removed using a slate ripper but you will only be able to re-fix them using a tingle.
Not the best especially for an entire course.

Sponsored Links
Its not a job to take on lightly if you are not sure what you are doing.
halls do flashing clips and they also do a slate repair hook which
looks a lot better than a row of lead/copper straps

Thanks,I've checked out the Hall clips which are a clever solution,and there are some other clips called Jennys which work on a different principal.I'm an experienced joiner so I'll give it a go. Just never had this particular job before.

Take a look at some of this guy's videos:

Might be best to remove a few courses, then you can nail the final courses and the tingles are further up the roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back