Can i unstick a pvc window that wont open?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small pvc window in my bathroom and in last month it has got stuck part of it wants to open but the other side won't budge. Is there a way I can open it myself? I tried wd40.

Sponsored Links
It will be a failed gearbox of a shootbolt locking mechanism, allowing one side to retract and not the other. A samll window i would suggest deglazing and trying to wedge the side that moves as far open as possible ( so it clears the rest of the frame ) , and then the side that is stuck lever it towrds the other side. Be very wary of how much pressure you are using as you don't want to bend the window

Depends on the beading really , whether internal or external beads. Have you got a picture of the stuck window?

Sponsored Links
I will get a photo uploaded in about an hour. What I do know is the brand is mela. I don't know if that's they whole window or just the lock itself as it's stamped on the key.

this is the best photo i can get against the light

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 36
Basically you need to pull the black gasket out inside, then from outside remove the beads to be able to remove the glass.

Not really but you need to be careful if you are up a ladder doing it. To refit you'd put glass, then beads then go indoors and tap ' wedge ' gasket back in

No ladder needed. Sounds tricky tho. How much would it cost to pay someone to do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back