Can I Use A Towel Rail With Just An Electric Element?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat doesn't have CH, only storage heaters.

At present, I have a wall mounted fan heater in my bathroom from a fused spur.

Can I replace this with a standard towel rail with just an electric element in it? If yes, can anyone recommend an element that allows you to adjust heat output? Do I need to fill the rail with water?

Sponsored Links
If the towel rail is designed to be fitted to a central heating circuit, and have an electrical element, then there is probably a warning about not closing off the valve(s) when using the electric element as it needs room for expansion, so to be honest, it's probably best to get a sealed oil one

Sponsored Links
doitall, you can get dry element towel rails, look at screwfix quote number 76147 and 43836, if the OP wanted to use the heater to heat the bathroom as well, he would be better off using the oil fill towel rail radiators, the heat output will be higher than the dry element towel rails

Thanks for the info. Oil filled it is then.

Can anyone recommed a modern looking oil filled towel rail, that looks similar to the chrome ones for CH?

Thanks again.

Thank you Billy Bob, I wasn't aware such things existed.

It sounds a really efficient (not) piece of kit.

An electric towel rail is quite cheap so why frig about buying towel rails and heaters.

Yes you can, B & Q and screwfix both sell them. You can get a thermostatic electric element from Screwfix too.

No you cannot Boxerman so don't give dangerous advice.

Kits are sold by B & Q & Screwfix, I've just bought some from CEF who also stock them the instructions say that you can fill them with water but you must underfill by approx 50mm to allow for expansion.

The heating element below is typical one and it clearly states that it can be used as the main heat source.

http://www.towelradiator.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=229

How do you know when the towel rail is under filled by 50mm ish.
Other than running around the house with an hose pipe how does one fill it.

Why the hell would you want to pay £48 for an element, plus another £50 ish for a towel rail, when you can buy a good oil filled rail for £65 quid

How do you know when the towel rail is under filled by 50mm ish.
Other than running around the house with an hose pipe how does one fill it.

Why the hell would you want to pay £48 for an element, plus another £50 ish for a towel rail, when you can buy a good oil filled rail for £65 quid

Measuring is easy, a vernier or depth gauge does the job.

Can't really argue with your comments re: cost etc but I've seen plenty of these installations in rented properties, usually with a standard element rather than the thermostatic one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back