Can you oversize an electric element for a towel rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm buying a dual fuel towel rail. The 600w element is the same price as the 1000w element. Both will fit inside the height of the towel rail. Both are thermostatic too. The old element is a 600w but can you oversize? I'm tempted to buy the 1000w.

Sponsored Links
You can, but why?
A towel rail is for warming towels, it will not heat the room and a larger element inside won't change that.

It will heat it FASTER, but not hotter

I plan on doing the same with one of my rads. Reason being I have solar PV and export my electric. I cannot use solar PV -> immersion heaters (as my cylinder doesn't have an accessible immersion) so I plan on using the exported electric to power 3 x rad elements instead, to dry the towels in summer

I do not use thermostatically controlled elements, but instead leave the CH I/O's open so expansion can travel out into the pipework

I'm no expert though!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back