can i use this paint as a top coat as well as a base coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just had walls re plastered a few weeks back and used this bare plaster paint http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-bare-plaster-paint-brilliant-white-10ltr/51004 for base coat..the paint has gone on the walls really well on first coat and looks good..I was wondering if i could give it another coat for durability purposes and then leave it as my top coat rather than going over it with another white matt paint as i want to leave the walls white..

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The simple answer is, yes. Many builders leave this kind of paint as a finish.

It is basically a very cheap contract matt emulsion which is used to seal the walls before applying your finish coats but can be left as the finish coat of desired. The main problem is that it is not hardwearing at all, will mark easily and cannot really be wiped if stained. The pigment will come off onto any cloth that you try to wipe it with and sometimes onto wet clothing if you brush past it.

The real question you should be asking yourself is: Do I WANT to use this paint as a finish? ;)

Thanks for the reply..You say that the paint i have used is a contract matt . ..Now i want to leave the walls white so are you saying all matt paints are similar to this (durability wise) or are they different as i want to leave the walls a matt white so don't want to go and buy another tub of matt white when i have a full unused tub of the above left already but if this is not the case then i will go and buy a different contract matt for top coat .

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Basically, the paint you have used contains no vinyl. This allows any moisture still in the new plaster to escape, avoiding adhesion issues.

Most standard matt paints are vinyl matt and so are harder wearing and should not lose their pigment when wiped. That said, many matt emulsions do and are still not really wipeable, even though they are marketed as such. If you are confident that the walls won't get much abuse then you can apply that No Nonsense paint but, in the decorating trade, we would only really consider leaving it as a finish on a ceiling, which is the surface least likely to get wear and tear.

Thanks once again...you see i was thinking of using this matt paint from the same company http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-contract-matt-emulsion-paint-brilliant-white-10ltr/82134 and wondered if it was different to the bare plaster one i used..It does get good reviews and i must say the bare plaster paint i have used on my walls has given an excellent finish in just one coat and thought if the normal matt paint was similar to the bare plaster paint then no point buying another tub when i have a full bare plaster tub left to give it another coat. ..i prefer matt finish to vinyl as i don't like the sheen of vinyl

Ah, having just looked at the specs of both products it seems that the paint you used is heavier. This suggests to me that it contains more pigment than standard contract matt, although will basically be the same product otherwise. This would also explain why the coverage has been so good for you but the product will probably still have a similar finish to standard contract matt. At the end of the day, the choice is of which you go with is yours. :)

Ah, having just looked at the specs of both products it seems that the paint you used is heavier. This suggests to me that it contains more pigment than standard contract matt, although will basically be the same product otherwise. This would also explain why the coverage has been so good for you but the product will probably still have a similar finish to standard contract matt. At the end of the day, the choice is of which you go with is yours. :)

Thanks for all the help,i have been and bought the contract matt that i linked to in my last post and gonna go over the bare plaster paint for a final coat ..Hope it looks as good as the bare plaster paint on final finish .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back