Can I use...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a Wylex NSB20 in place of a duff NSB06 on my consumer unit?

I have a duff NSB06 and have a spare NSB20. It's the downstairs light circuit. The switch is knackered - a bulb blew last night and tripped the ciruit (as per usual) but after turning the light off and replacing the bulb, the CU switch has no resistance whatsoever - just flops down when pushed up and doesn't 'click' like the others.

Don't shout at me if I can't or if it's a daft question...that's why I'm asking before potentially burning the house down :LOL:

If not, where can I get an NSB06? Screwfix, B&Q and Homebase etc don't seem to have any?

Ta!

Sponsored Links
Okey dokey - if that is a direct replacement, Screwfix carry that range. Thanks for your help :)

Not a good idea to protect a 6 amp circuit with a 20 MCB Even as a temporary measure it carries the risk of 6 amp cables and fittings ( ceiling roses, switches ) being overload if another faulty bulb shorts out. Also with a 20 amp MCB the bulbs failure could be explosively spectacular with molten glass and metal spraying around.

If there is another 6 amp MCB in the CU ( for the upstairs lights ) then as

A TEMPORARY FIX

move the lead from the defective MCB to the other 6 amp MCB provide they are both protected by the same RCD. If they are not you will have to also move the Neutral to the other neutral bus bar.

A photo of the CU will help to confirm that,

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you're competent to be messing about in your consumer unit, if you don't understand the basics like selecting the right sized circuit breaker.

Remember there will still be live parts in your consumer unit, even with the main switch open, and it's not a place the inexperienced ought to be messing.

Thanks - yes, I'm competent. It's not a case of not understanding, it's a case of asking a question...

I've sourced a replacement NHX switch from B&Q and I've already swapped them over so it's all back to normal AND I lived to tell the tale.

Cheers all!

Thanks - yes, I'm competent. It's not a case of not understanding, it's a case of asking a question... I've sourced a replacement NHX switch from B&Q and I've already swapped them over so it's all back to normal AND I lived to tell the tale.
I can certainly understand that some people might be very competent to replace an MCB safely without having a clue (without asking questions) as to what they could safely replace it with (such is probably the case with countless 'technicians') - so maybe that's the situation with you.

However, as for 'living to tell the tale', very many people have achieved that through pure luck - which is not necessarily a good indicator of what may happen 'next time'!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks - yes, I'm competent. It's not a case of not understanding, it's a case of asking a question... I've sourced a replacement NHX switch from B&Q and I've already swapped them over so it's all back to normal AND I lived to tell the tale.
I can certainly understand that some people might be very competent to replace an MCB safely without having a clue (without asking questions) as to what they could safely replace it with (such is probably the case with countless 'technicians') - so maybe that's the situation with you.

However, as for 'living to tell the tale', very many people have achieved that through pure luck - which is not necessarily a good indicator of what may happen 'next time'!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe my original question could have been worded better. It was never my intention to LEAVE the B20 in situ. A simple Google search told me all I needed to know about the differences. It was only ever intended as a temporary fix until Amazon or eBay could deliver a B6 as I couldn't see a like for like replacement that I could buy over the counter.

However, as flameport advised they had been replaced I was able to carry on with Plan A.

Cheers,
Trev.

Maybe my original question could have been worded better. It was never my intention to LEAVE the B20 in situ. A simple Google search told me all I needed to know about the differences. It was only ever intended as a temporary fix until Amazon or eBay could deliver a B6 as I couldn't see a like for like replacement that I could buy over the counter.
Ah, I see. Yes, that is very different from the way the wording of your initial question 'came over'. Had it been worded more like this new version, you probably would not have attracted the mini-flak!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks - yes, I'm competent. It's not a case of not understanding, it's a case of asking a question..
If you understood then you would know the answer to the question.

Was the replacement from a reliable source, as I am sure you understand that quite a lot of fake equipment is sold via the internet. Looks good, feels good but is no good at providing the necessary protection to persons and property.

Was the replacement from a reliable source ...
B&Q we are told - do you regard that as 'reliable'?
... as I am sure you understand that quite a lot of fake equipment is sold via the internet. Looks good, feels good but is no good at providing the necessary protection to persons and property.
All true, but I don't know of any internet source (with the possible exception of Maplin, whom I count as 'reliable') who could/would deliver within a couple of hours following on-line ordering, on a Saturday afternoon :)

You seem to be in a "trying very hard to find fault" mode this afternoon :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back