Can rainwater downpipe just run off onto driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbours (not attached, they are slight higher up as houses on a hill) have just had a porch finished and the downpipe finishes on their driveway so all rainwater from their porch roof will naturally run straight onto our property. Is this correct?

Only asking as I’m currently planning a porch too, and 2 builders have said will need to dig out/or route downpipe into an existing drain.

Can a downpipe just terminate onto a block paved driveway?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Will you really get that much run-off from a porch roof?
I wouldnt imagine so, was just asking as we are planning similar and builders had said we’d need to run our downpipe into an actual drain.
If we can run off onto our driveway (facing down towards next doors flower beds) then it saves us some hassle

Nowhere, the downpipe was fitted when the new porch was built
It must have gone somewhere.

As an aside the builders should technically be draining into a small soakaway or french drain or a flower bed as you allude to, not into the existing drains, though if there's a handy rwp nearby ....

Last edited:
I might be wrong but I seem to remember something like a roof under 6m2 is not required to have rainwater drainage. Possibly in the Building Regulations or The Building Act?
Although if the porch is exempt from Building Regulations you can do what you want anyway.

You can't just discharge straight into the ground next to a building as that could affect the foundations. Well you could for a new porch that is not built under building regulations, but you should not.

You can discharge onto the surface if that is then dispersing over a wide area before soaking into the ground.

A landowner can't discharge water from a gutter or drain over the boundary. Normal surface run off is OK.

There are thousands of acres of empty land where the rain just lands and then soaks or runs away somewhere. Then someone builds a shed and there becomes a need to have gutters, downpipes, and somewhere special for the rain to go.
Unless it has a thatched roof, and then it just goes where the rain happily went before there was a building at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back