Can this wall be fixed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the recent storm my neighbours fence collapsed pulling down this wall too. It's a single skin brick wall about 8ft high which holds back soil up to about the 7th/8th brick. I'm assuming that the foundations for the neighbours conservatory would be deeper than this meaning it's not holding that back too?

I believe by modern standards that wall should a double skin. If I claim off my insurance I assume they'll have to replace the whole wall based on that? I believe my neighbour however may be intending to just put the bricks back up.

Please let me know what you think
IMG_7273.jpg
IMG_7287.jpg
the correct way of dealing this would be.

Sponsored Links
I think that Mr Common sense needs to bring you both to the table and share the cost of rebuilding that properly, or you’ll be doing it again in a few years

Sponsored Links
I think that Mr Common sense needs to bring you both to the table and share the cost of rebuilding that properly, or you’ll be doing it again in a few years

What is rebuilding it properly though? Switching it to double skin or could it just be replaced with a concrete fence with a double gravel board? That wall has been there for 50+ years and probably would have been there for much longer if a fence hadn't been attached to it.

By the looks of things it should be 1.5 bricks thick if it was to be a wall.

Can anyone see an issue with converting this to a fence instead? I’m not sure if the conservatory would be an issue.

The conservatory should be free standing. Your eyes should tell you!

Fence or wall, it looks like the ivy didn't help. Guess they didn't want to look at a bare wall from their window. Leave it there and it will ruin the new fence within a few years too.

does the ground level on their side drop when the wall transitions to the fence then? Otherwise what’s retaining it along the fence?

You can work out the centre line of the houses and see where the wall sits. Thats the surest way of working out ownership.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back