Can unscreened coax cause lcd tv splutter ?

If you'd care to recommend an aerial please, I 'd appreciate it.

Its in the loft because of high winds in the area. It was outside to start with, high up on the chimney stack but I still got the splutter !

Just out of interest, what about all those aerial outside that have tall buildings between them at the transmitter - no better than loft mounted surely ?

Sponsored Links
The aerial you would be best advised to get is called a "log periodic" this gives you the wideband reception required. HOWEVER in the loft is possibly the worst place you can have ANY aerial. Outside in free space ( as far from everything as possible ) is the only place for any aerial.
Bear in mind that a signal booster / masthead amplifier may make matters WORSE. Get an aerial put up outside and try it before attempting any sort of " Improvements". Have a good look at what your neighbours have up. Thats always a good guide, If you see a small box attached to the masts about 1 foot below the aerail ,thats a masthead amp. If most folk have them then you may also require one... Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
The aerial you would be best advised to get is called a "log periodic" this gives you the wideband reception required.
He hasn't provided his postcode so you can't simply guess that a wideband aerial is required.
Let's have the postcode and then we can give specific advice regarding what type might be most appropriate.

About 40 degrees anticlockwise from South of and about 8 miles from Pontop Pike transmitter !

I've checked for Pontop Pike and the recommendation is for wideband.

I think I'll try a log periodic aerial which seem to be wideband.

Another advantage of Log Periodics is their low wind loading.

Just a bit of information... A log periodic consists of many aeriel elements each tuned to a different frequency. from low ( long elements) to high ( short elements ) In operation the elements behind the "active" elements act as REFLECTORS and the one in front act as DIRECTORS. So as the frequency of reception changes so different parts of the aerial act in different ways. Thus it is a true "wideband" aerial..

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I noticed you're in the Durham area Gees.

You probably know of the famous Burnhope mast which actually stands between my house and the Pontop Pike transmitter.
I believe the Burnhope mast is used for mobile phone signals !

I wouldn't trust the ebay seller because:

1. There's no such thing as a "digital" aerial.
2. He doesn't state the aerial make or model number.
3. 12dBd from a 28 element log-periodic is impossible. (Even a 36 element gives only 10 dBd.)

In addition, that specific aerial states "wideband" 21-69 which will NOT block 4G mobile signals.

In contrast, the V10-36L log-p (21-60) WILL block 4G because it's designed to block UHF channels above number 60.
See http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/log-periodic_aerials.htm

Just a bit of information... A log periodic consists of many aeriel elements <snip> Thus it is a true "wideband" aerial..
Except when it isn't. The V10-36L isn't (21-60) and the V11-20A2 isn't (21-37 Group "A" only).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back