Can you believe this price..

securespark said:
When I was S/E, one of my customers rang me up all worried because the surveyors who were to fit his B & Q kitchen came round and told him in no uncertain terms there was no way he could have socket outlets in his kitchen fed from two separate circuits.

It was highly dangerous and contravened the regulations, and he was told that they'd have to install one whole new circuit just for that room.

Was he right?...or was he trying it on?

Sponsored Links
I would say he was right, it is dangerous to have a socket outlet fed by two seperate circuits.

Zampa never said that there was a proposal to an accessory from two different circuits.

Sponsored Links
The guy said that we would need to get qualified part p electricians to hook up the fridge (which is plugged into a 13 amp socket!) the washing machine (same) and the extractor..all plugged into the domestic circuit via 13 amp plugs..

The only one im not to sure of is the oven and hob which are wired directly into a standard 30 amp supply...

Would this have to be carrried out by a qualified sparks?

Its obvious hes trying to big the job up...kept reffereing to 'ALL' the plumbing work..and the grief we would have trying to find a plumber (to plumb in the kitchen sink and screw the washing machine connections up)..

We went to Wickes today..getting them out too now, ..they use a nationwide company to fit their kitchens who then use approved subbies..

So the subbies are going to get their slice..and the company who has subbed it to them will probably get the lions share for doing **** all.

I picked up a yellow pages tonight and thought 'where do I start'..'do I go local'?...do I go for the ones with a big ad or small ad'?...'will they know what they are doing'?...'can I trust them in the house'...'will I have to take time off'?..what happens if they mess the job up'?...

Gentlemen...remember this the next time you go out to price a job..your potential customer may be thinking all the same things..

Thank you all for the comments...we have a B&Q and MFI coming out ove rthe next couple of days..lets see what they come up with.. :rolleyes:

Zampa said:
I picked up a yellow pages tonight and thought 'where do I start'..'do I go local'?...do I go for the ones with a big ad or small ad'?...'will they know what they are doing'?...'can I trust them in the house'...'will I have to take time off'?..what happens if they mess the job up'?...
Put down the Yellow Pages and BACK AWAY. :evil:

Ask your neighbours, family, friends, and colleagues to recommend someone that they've used, or that someone they know has used.

"Put down the Yellow Pages and BACK AWAY.

Ask your neighbours, family, friends, and colleagues to recommend someone that they've used, or that someone they know has used."

*I second that emotion* from softee .....

Thought that was Japan..or one of those drum machine bands.. :confused:

Zampa said:
securespark said:
When I was S/E, one of my customers rang me up all worried because the surveyors who were to fit his B & Q kitchen came round and told him in no uncertain terms there was no way he could have socket outlets in his kitchen fed from two separate circuits.

It was highly dangerous and contravened the regulations, and he was told that they'd have to install one whole new circuit just for that room.

Was he right?...or was he trying it on?

It is perfectly acceptable to have two (or more) socket circuits in one room. The only proviso is where 3P is present. Accessories on two different phases must not be simultaneously accessable, or if they are, they must be labelled as to the presence of 400V.

The guy from B and Q has just been out..reckons we need a special type of sheilded plug for the washing machine..its 'law' apparently and the oven and hob must be hard wired to the 30 amp supply by a competent sparks and has to have a separate rcd..more 'law'?

Kitchen topped up to a shade under 4k...3k to fit it..11 units and appliances..

He reckons about a weeks work!..which is what I said roughly..for one bloke..

And if we got this quality kitchen anywhere else..it would cost 20k...so why are they doing it for 4? :rolleyes:

Oh but that does include an rcd and a sheilded switch...not its not just..hes words, 'labour only' :rolleyes:

This is starting to go down the supply only and we sort the labour route..

One more..Bosch/Hoover compared to...Indesit.. worth the extra?, we have heard that Indesit arnt up to much..

CHeers for all the comments btw..

Zampa said:
The guy from B and Q has just been out..reckons we need a special type of sheilded plug for the washing machine..its 'law' apparently and the oven and hob must be hard wired to the 30 amp supply by a competent sparks and has to have a separate rcd..more 'law'?

Total Billy Byrne ball cocks :rolleyes:

Zampa said:
we have heard that Indesit arnt up to much.
There's only one suitable word for Indesit appliances - awful. Awful and carp.

Two suitable words. Awful and carp. And appalling customer service.

Three suitable words...

Sponsored Links
Back