Can you drill into a mirror?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to bore a hole into a mirror to a door.
The mirrors were previously attached to wardrobes using double sided sticky tape.

I have two wardrobes each with one large heavy mirror. When the mirrors came off from the wardrobe I stuck them back with double sided sticky tape I had brought from the shop. This only lasted a couple of weeks before it came off. I tried twice using the sticky tape each time it did not work.

Now I want to drill the mirrors to a door. Firstly can one drill a hole into a mirror using a standard drill? If so which drill bit shall I use for example wood or metal or ?

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, glaizers do it.
I think you make a plasticine mould & use parafin. Dont know what drill..NOT HAMMER :LOL:

>Yes you can, glaizers do it.

I am no glaizer. Nearest glazier from where I live has to be over 5 miles driving distance. At present I am unable to drive.

Here are my two questions again:
Firstly can one drill a hole into a mirror using a standard drill?
Which you answered yes
If so which drill bit shall I use for example wood or metal or ?
Which you answered unsure

My next question can a non glazier with good DIY skills do this?

>I think you make a plasticine mould & use parafin.
Not sure what you are saying!

Sponsored Links
>

I have tried wall and metal drill bit and it is painfully slow. I have wood drill bit set but did not bother trying this.

Having did a quick search on the internet found that there are special "glass drill bits"?

http://www.cglass.co.uk/product.php?productid=17370

I think the easiest option would be to settle for the double sided tape. Can anybody recommend very strong one, type, brand etc.

Try using mirror adhesive, I use it all the time, hung a 1500x920 one with it last week.

Screwfix do it comes in a mastic tube.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back