Can you fit a multi point lock to rebated door pairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Im about to make a door pair (timber) that has the rebate where the doors meet, to avoid the gap and resulting draft down the middle. The doors will be 44mm thick, so i was going to do the rebate 12mm by half the door thickness, so 12mm x 22mm.

I wanted to fit a multi point lock. The ERA 5345 seems to be what i want in terms of deadbolts on the slave door and a multi point locking system, however the instructions found online are pretty poor. All they state with regards to routing is "Door and frame must be of an approved pattern and be ROUTED in accordance with respective MPL drawings".

How would a rebated lock be fitted to a rebated door? Will it simply fit on one side of the 22mm rebate? Or will it be fitted to the centre of the door thickness making the rebate thinner?

Or, would it be easier to make the door pair without a rebate and fit some sort of draft prevention strip?

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You normally use a standard mortise lock with a lock rebate kit like this:

Mortise Lock Rebate Kit.png
Mortise Lock Rebnate Kit 002.png

These kits are often (but not always) specific to the lock manufacturer. AFAIK the recess for multi-point locks must be routed up the middle of the door and all the ones I've dealt with use a hook lock mechanism, so you can't use them on rebated door sets, or at least I've never seen a rebated set for one. The arrangement you generally have is the multi-point on one side of a plain door and receivers (keeps) on the other side (again plain) with additional top and bottom slide bolt in the receiving door

BTW locks almost always have to be centred in the door - if not there generally isn't enough "meat" left in the door to take the screws which hold the escutcheons, handle back plates, etc. Bank doors, which can be 60, 70, 80mm thick or more are a different matter

For draught prevention have you considered fitting a fire door casing, or routing an intumescent groove around 2 sides of one door and 3 sides of the other? A cold smoke seal could then be inserted into the groove and it will act as a draught exclider

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine wooden french doors aren’t rebated, But I have multi point locking... to cover the gap, It has a flying mullion attached on the left hand door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back