Can you hang an external door internally?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After searching for over a year for internal doors that both my partner and I like we finally found some but they are external oak doors. Can you hang an external door internally?

Sponsored Links
only iff you can increase the rebate size to 2mm bigger than the door thickness?
exterior =44mm approx interior =34mm approx

As big-all says you will need to increase the depth of the rebates which isn't a difficult job, you may even find that your exsisting linings have planted stops which can simply be prized off and refixed to suit your new door.

Sponsored Links
As big-all says you will need to increase the depth of the rebates which isn't a difficult job, you may even find that your exsisting linings have planted stops which can simply be prized off and refixed to suit your new door.
Agree. Hopefully your door has a frame with separate jambs rather than a casement.

My 1978 terrace had 4 identical doors downstairs - 2 external and 2 internal. Unfortunately they were all in casements, so I couldn't easily fit 'normal' internal doors.

Thanks Guys.

There doesn't seem to be much information on this... however I have seen one site which says you can't due to humidity levels???
External doors are built with 18% humidity (Internal doors 10%). Thus an external door will warp when it drys out but an an internal door fitted externally will crack... Can you confirm the internal warping issue :eek:

Thanks again guys

TAP

the doors you have seen, are they panelled? and are they solid, or are they veneered on an inferior core? Can you see if they are made with mortice and tenon joints?

if they are solid, panelled, and M&T, they will be fine inside. They will be stronger and heavier than most doors so will need three 4-inch hinges, and the door lining ("frame") will need to be solid enough, and well-fixed to the wall, to take the weight. That sort of door has been fitted in expensive houses for hundreds of years. If they are good panelled doors, they will not warp, but if they do (e.g. in a damp old house) there is a way to bend them back to shape. It is quite easy, I have done it myself when shown how, and I am no joiner. You can't easily do that with a flush or moulded door.

You should leave them indoors for a few weeks to acclimatise to the dry conditions before painting them, or the paint will crack round the panels as they dry and shrink. The wood itself will not crack. As they will be heavy, and need to be well-fitted, it is worth asking around for a skilled local joiner to put them in for you. He will be much quicker and do a better job. Include any locks and handles that you want. Choose good hinges. With heavy doors, it is an advantage to have lift-off hinges as this makes it easier to take them off when painting, or moving large furniture. It is quite difficult to lift and re-hang a heavy door and get it back in the perfect place otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back