Replacing External Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new front door on my house. I've been looking around and I’ve noticed a big price difference in external hardwood doors and internal hardwood doors. I’d like to know if its possible to use an internal hardwood door as an external one. The only difference is the thickness of the door so how would this prevent me from using it as a front door? If there are any other reason I can't use an internal hardwood door as a front door could you please let me know.

Sponsored Links
do you intend selling your house with this type of door?

it is not as secure.

it is thermally illegal.

it is acoustically inefficient.

it may not be able to withstand weather as effectively.

it is a barmy idea.

Replacement external doors & windows must be manufactured to specific standards & is notifyable work. Unless you use a FENSA registered company to install it, you will need to obtain a compliance certificate from you local council Building Control office. There will be a fee for the BC inspection & certification which will probably outweigh any cost saving you could make on a DIY effort & if you fit a non-compliant door, you may have problems when you come to sell.

a lot of interior doors are made literaly from dozens of bits of wood glued together and finnished with a relativly thin veneer this includes doors with rails and styles [glazed doors for example]not just panneled doors

if you used one of these on the exterior it would eventualy fall to bits with the damp

you do also get exterior doors built the same way so beware as even these will fall to bits if not properly treated and maintained :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Replacement external doors & windows must be manufactured to specific standards & is notifyable work. Unless you use a FENSA registered company to install it, you will need to obtain a compliance certificate from you local council Building Control office. There will be a fee for the BC inspection & certification which will probably outweigh any cost saving you could make on a DIY effort & if you fit a non-compliant door, you may have problems when you come to sell.

When we installed ours the BRO did not wish to inspect the door, as the glazing was less than 50% of the door area so notifying was not required.

Using an interior door for external use could also render you insurance invalid, as it is not fit for the purpose.

Salem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back