Can you have a freestanding conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have/had an old Victorian greenhouse - the wooden frame had to be demolished as it was rotten, leaving the brick base.
upload_2021-6-1_12-27-7.png

We've been looking at rebuilding the top, but I did wonder if I could simply have a 'conservatory' built to benefit from double-glazing and quicker fabrication. But looking online, I only see at most 3/4 designs relying on one external wall. Is that because it is required for structural reasons, or simply because that's what everyone wants? Is a 5x2.5m structure something that would be feasible?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried the greenhouse section?

Conservatory companies will make whatever you want, it's just that normally people want a conservatory fixed to the house.

And you may want to allow for some sort of "stay clean" glass.

A conservatory is just a greenhouse really, or a shed with lots of windows.

Have you tried the greenhouse section?

Conservatory companies will make whatever you want, it's just that normally people want a conservatory fixed to the house.

And you may want to allow for some sort of "stay clean" glass.
Great. I wondered if the design relies on a structural wall for support is all - if not then as you say why would it make any difference :)

A conservatory is just a greenhouse really, or a shed with lots of windows.
I suppose so, but made of plastic and with double-glazed panels. I would imagine a bit more substantial, greenhouses tend to be made from quite splindly aluminium, or from 2x2" timbers.

One reason I was curious is that seeing the price of a wooden greenhouse (high 4 figures) I wondered how much this would be in comparison for something a bit more substantial. Guess it's easy enough to get a couple of speculative quotes.

Sponsored Links
But do you need double glazing? You could build a wooden frame with glass panes. It doesn't really look large enough to be a conservatory with furniture, and without heating it would not be any different from a greenhouse for most of the year.

We have/had an old Victorian greenhouse - the wooden frame had to be demolished as it was rotten, leaving the brick base.
View attachment 235271

We've been looking at rebuilding the top, but I did wonder if I could simply have a 'conservatory' built to benefit from double-glazing and quicker fabrication. But looking online, I only see at most 3/4 designs relying on one external wall. Is that because it is required for structural reasons, or simply because that's what everyone wants? Is a 5x2.5m structure something that would be feasible?

There's no practical reason why you can't specify 4 sides.
A conservatory is only a row windows and doors, ring beam and roof.

A 4 square structure is quite strong.

A upvc conservatory actually uses the glass panels a lot in practice to act as lateral restraint - and if the glazing is properly shimmed into the rebate, that should help minimise movement.

But do you need double glazing? You could build a wooden frame with glass panes. It doesn't really look large enough to be a conservatory with furniture, and without heating it would not be any different from a greenhouse for most of the year.
As I said, seeing the cost of someone building me a nice wooden one just got me thinking how a conservatory might compare. It might be a bit more flexible for future use having double-glazing but you're right, it's not my top priority.
Although originally this was a hot-house with a coal boiler underneath ;) Not my aim to reinstate that.

That explains the design, i was wondering what was below the surface.

Pizza oven with greenhouse above? Grow tomatoes and chillies!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back