Can you start a belle mixer with a full load?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told by an old boy when I first started out, never to start a belle mixer if it wasn’t empty, as it could “snap the belt” or something. I’ve always abided by that but is it true?
Yep, I’m having a bangin’ New Year’s Eve.

Sponsored Links
The belts are very easily replaced and cheap as chips.
But there are at least two types.

The gearing means the load transfer is modest. Full or empty, Belle mixers could not give a chuff.

Sponsored Links
I've done it for years. Fill the thing up first, and it stops all the splashing.

I do it when mixing lime mortar. Once it's properly mixed it needs about 20 minutes left standing to fatten up, and then mixed again for another 5.

I had one with a knackered capacitor, I had to spin the drum then switch it on to get it going, a bit like hand cranking an old car. I have a belle maximix now, if its really full I usually put the drum vertically when starting.

Screenshot_20240101-115741-152.png

It wasn't a thing back then, sunshine and unicorns. Don't blame me.

I had one with a knackered capacitor, I had to spin the drum then switch it on to get it going, a bit like hand cranking an old car. I have a belle maximix now, if its really full I usually put the drum vertically when starting.

View attachment 327306

Not sure, but I would imagine that any capacitor would struggle to start a full load spinning.

I don't know how they work, but that's what they do:

Screenshot_20240101-161720~2.png

I don't know how they work, but that's what they do:

View attachment 327338

The capacitor helps kick start the spinning process. The inertia required to start the spinning is pretty high.

My heat pump tumble dryer's motor recently started buzzing rather than turning the drum, if I gave it a gentle (rotational) nudge, it would start spinning. I replaced the capacitor and all was good. Once a motor is spinning, it is happy but it needs a kick start to get going- hence the capacitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back