Can you use brass compression joints directly onto plastic pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been mulling over how I'm going to fit a brass diverter valve into an existing plastic pipe run to a concealed shower head without having to squeeze dozens of pipe accessories into the wall cavity. Reading around online I discovered it seems to be common/accepted practice to compression fit directly onto plastic pipe if it has a reinforcing insert.

What's the opinion here?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have a brass compression elbow on 22mm polypipe which has been fine for ~5 years. I too read around on this at the time and the consensus seemed to be that this is absolutely fine (some saying they preferred it to the pushfit connectors). You must ensure you use the appropriate insert though.

You should use a copper olive and the plain insert.

I prefer to connect to a short length of copper and then on to speed fit by a straight connector

Sponsored Links
You should use a copper olive and the plain insert.

Yes - copper olive is mandatory! Should have said that.

Recently had a problem with an imperial pipe onto a poly plumb tee. It had been weeping for many years. Most likely an incorrect O ring was used on this particular fitting, as one side was fine. Anyway, it was replaced with a brass compression fitting with an imperial olive for the imperial pipe, and a normal olive for the poly pipe.

By 'plain insert' do you mean one without a rubber o-ring on the exterior?
I.e. this:
64318_P
not this:
15422_P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back