canadian kitchen ceiling light turning fixture housing black

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The 20-story apt. building is 26 years old. I understand that all the screw-in fuses should be 15 amps for light circuits but the fuse controlling the kitchen light is 30 amps. This fuse also controls two outlets in the living room. The kitchen light fixture has 3 lights which can be swivelled individually. I just pulled out one of the bulbs which has 2 contact prongs. It is a GE product and has EXN/CG and 50W 12V stamped on one side and USA 25 on the other. Part of the plug-in part cracked and the inside material crumbled somewhat when I took it out. The metal covering around each individual light in the fixture and the ceiling around the base of the fixture where it is flush with the ceiling has blackened.

I want to replace this fixture with one of my own, a light-fan fixture. I am concerned that the black, which wasn't there 6 months ago, means that the electrical set-up is not correct and so do not want to start switching light fixtures until I have an idea what needs to be fixed first.

Can anyone shed light on this light issue? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Dianne

Sponsored Links
Back