Cannot unplug crimp connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I am in the process of replacing some of the wiring in my Samsung BF3ON3T11 oven. I thought it'd be very straightforward - note where everything goes, unplug each old connector and plug in each new one. But I've failed at the second hurdle. I unplugged the first crimp connector OK, but most of the others are so tight that I fear the force required to pull them out will irreparably damage the oven function selector switch (which I replaced a few months ago so do not want to kill!).

So if anyone has any suggestions as to how on earth I can get these stupid (insert a LOT of ranting and swearing here) connectors out without resorting to dynamite, I'd be very grateful!

I've trawled the internet in an attempt to find anyone else with the same problem (and a solution) but it seems that I must be the first person in the world to encounter this. You can see from the image below where I've tried to use pliers to get a decent grip on the red (second from left) connector. Those terminals on the function selector switch are held in place by tiddly brass lugs. I've also tried getting flat-head screwdriver under the end of the connector to lever it off, without success.

stupid_connectors.jpg

Sponsored Links
Huh! Well, I discovered the solution: in my frustration, I ripped off the insulation around that red connector, and discovered a tiny lug thing that, when pushed, releases the clip thing that holds the connector in place! I never knew that existed. Problem solved (hopefully!).

Have you tried using a small lever to lift press the receptacle ( on the wire ) up wards and off the spade ( on the switch )

lever spade.jpg

A small fork can be usefull as it puts a lever both sides of the spade thus lifting both sides of the receptacle to give an even straight lift.

When re-fitting make sure the receptacle is a tight fit on the spade to ensure a good connection. A deformed receptacle can ( often does ) result in a connection that over hears and damage switch and / or cable loom.

Edit well spotted the lug, not all have one. If possible re-sleeve the connector with heat shrink sleeving

Now you know where just use long nosed pliars to press and release the locking tab

Sponsored Links
Yep - long-nose pliers applied to that secret location meant the connectors came off easily. Is this something that is only taught in hushed tones in Electrician School and kept secret from Joe Public?!

It was a badly fitted connector that resulted in the death of the first selector switch and then a wire/connector (with some interesting fizzing and a bang!).

It`s a fairly recent thing, well to me anyway and I was lucky the first time as there no sheath I could look and see the little blighter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back