can't decide what floor tiles...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as the title says, I can't decide what floor tiles to use..

I've got it narrowed down to 2 choices..

one is a large tile 300 x 300 ish, the other is a tile that's 150 x 150, but would be laid diagonally with a different coloured border ( on the floor in the second pic.. ironically the floor in the tile showroom but not on a display in there.. )

View media item 13188 View media item 13187

Sponsored Links
already having black countertops, and it's for a kitchen.. don't want it too dark in there..

Personal preference really & although larger tiles look very impressive in a decent sized bath room, I think they can look a bit silly in a 1.5 x 1m floor in a small en-suite. I also think it pays to keep it simple; less is often more & it’s also easier to lay!

One thing you may not have considered is that some smooth glazed tiles can become lethally slippery with just a few splashes of water on them & I usually advise tiles with a roughish glaze texture. B&Q do a 300 x 300 range (wait for the comments :rolleyes:) which I’ve used several times in a couple of colours; they look good, are excellent value & I’ve had no comebacks. ;)

Sponsored Links
it's a kitchen Rich.. not a bathroom..
neither tile is glass smooth.. they both have a fine texture to them..

Oh sorry the photo’s confused me a bit :oops: I’d go with Jefoss suggestion then & use large black slate; rectangular looks nice. Our own kitchen does have the benefit of natural light on 2 sides but has very dark brown porcelain floor tiles - I now wish I'd used black slate but they match through into the cons. & it seemed like a good idea at the time; light oak units, black granite worktops, rectangular matt black slip tiles over the worktops & right up under & behind the SS cooker & cooker hood with a "too expensive but she wanted them" natural stone mosaic border; the remaining walls & ceiling just matt white, together with the almost obligatory recessed spot lighting & worktop mood lights.

When I first put the black wall slips up, I thought I’d made one huge & expensive mistake but once it was grouted, it looked fabulous & everyone who sees it comments how good it looks. :D

last year i did a black slate effect floor that had black work tops, they chose a mid blue small brick tile (10x20) for the splash, i didnt have any faith that it would look ok, but after all said and done it worked.

also they didnt have much light in there so had changed the lights for a few spots and under cupboard lights, looked tip top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back