Can't find a cam lock for wardrobe double doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wardrobe is fitted and has conventional double doors, that open to the left and right to reveal the whole storage space, and a single door to the left. There are also smaller, identical doors above.

I wanted to fit the same locks for both double and single doors (+ the above ones) and thought a simple cam lock would be best for the single doors, but I can't find anything for double doors. Like all wardrobes, there isn't any wardrobe frame behind the centre of the double doors, for the lock arm to rotate 90 deg to lock against. It would rotate in thin air.

Does anyone know of a cam lock that comes with something like the arrow below? Something it can rotate into?

View media item 68306 View media item 68308
Am I stuck with using different locks for the two types of door or have I chosen the wrong lock to begin with?

Am I being daft for wanting this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
are you talking 2 wardrobe doors that close onto a partition between the doors ??

No, the space behind the double doors is completely free of any partition or frame that any lock arm could lock onto. I didn't want to complicate things by indicating there is a partition, but it is too recessed from the front for any kind of lock to lock onto.

I hope these pics make it clearer:
View media item 68375 View media item 68376
Whichever door I put a cam lock on, the other will still be able to open freely, unless I can fit something like the arrow points to onto the other door and both can hold each other in place.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it was for security reasons. I just want to lock all the doors, for when I am out of the house, really.

The magnetic catches are pretty strong and keep in place the door I don't want to open.

Call me lazy, but I had set my sights on a single lock for the double doors and came up with this arrangement:

View media item 68377 View media item 68378
I thought I might have to use a cam lock for the single door and maybe a drawer/cupboard cylinder deadbolt for the double doors, with an angled mortice/lock keep.

I hadn't thought of using a door bolt at the top or bottom.

it wont work you pull one door they both open and part
it may bind up a few inches open but would take little effort to open
you could get a hooked latch but it would still be very weak

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back