Cant get my wheels off, help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My car recently had an MOT/Service/Cam belt, any mechanic tried to remove a wheel to get better access to the cab belt pullys

HOWEVER!

the nuts were extremly tight, as put on by the dealership I bought the car off just over a year ago.

The windy wouldnt touch it!
in the end he got 3 nuts off with a 4 foot long scaff bar and a socket/T-Bar, this took some effort, I saw it.

unfortunatly for me, I have alloys (factory fit, nothing fancy) and have locking nuts, the type with the little splines on the key, and ridges on the nuts.

I have 2 keys, one of them now has all the ridges sheared off.

so how can I get my locking nuts off?? I have a 2 foot long torqe wrench, and its off the scale on it.

I have got some of the other nuts loose with a god soak of WD40, bt the locking nuts dont want to move, and I dont want to shear my remaining key.

Sponsored Links
take it back to the dealer,SCREAM AND SHOUT AND STAMP YOUR FEET see if they can do it as a good will gesture if not looks like your have to visit a fast fit place and drop them a drink to do it,but bear in mind if your key is fubared they may have to totally knacker them to get them off.

Ask them to loosen and correctly torque up your other wheel nuts, whilst you are there.

Personally I never fit any special locking nuts, they can be a nightmare, if and when, you get a puncture.

I have a feelng they may have to be damaged to be removed, so I will probably buy a new set.

I might try the dealer, but I wont hold my breath, its one of those supermaket places, they wernt impressed with the deal I managed to get out of them at the time, especialy when the MOT needed new pads/disc/tyres all round!!

this years MOT, handbrake cable adjustment!

I presume it may be a case of drill the things out, especially as an impact wont get them off!

Failing the dealer, I will call down to my tyre place, see if they can help.

yes, its all the wheels affected.

Sponsored Links
First way if it happens again is undo the locking nut first as other hold wheel "in"
the first option I'd use is the impact socket placed" read smash onto" nut then try a impact gun to remove it
A body shop may able to help as they weld a bar to nut them use that to undo it

or just take it to a tyre fiters who will have lock nut removers ..........

Get a new set of locking bolts before you go and get them to fit & torque them up properly for you

not had chance to take it down the tyre fitters yet, ve been told not to drive after my motorcycle accident.

do tyre fitters use higher rated impact tools? cos my mechanic tried his impact on one, and it just wouldnt move even the normal nuts, it took a big bar to undo them.

his comment was, whover put them on, wants a good slap, Im inclined to agree.

Sponsored Links
Back