Can't hang ceiling light - not electrical problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed my old living room light which was here since moving in. It was screwed into a plastic thing which is inside the ceiling.

I bought a funky modern metal spot light thing from a shop and want to fit it.

The screw places don't match up with the old bit but the ceiling is too weak and the wall plugs fall out so I can't hang it.

Any ideas or am I missing something?

Is there specific sizes of light fixtures or something?

Sponsored Links
Are using the correct size drill hole for the plugs?
If the ceiling is weak and cannot take a raw plug, you will need to repair it.
Whilst making the repair stick a noggin in to carry the fitting.

You will probably need to get access above, or remove part of the ceiling.

If you can lift a floor above it would be better, and fix a noggin

Sponsored Links
Or move the fitting sideways to fix into one of the floor joists above the ceiling. Joists are usually at 400mm centres, so you shouldn't ever be more than 200mm from finding a decent fixing, but you would have to patch the ceiling at the original position.

A bit of prodding around with, say, a piece of a wire coathanger through the existing hole may help you find the nearest joist.

FXPBS35.JPG

Please find below pictures of my ceiling.

I don't feel comfortable doing much more than basic electrics. I just want the light fitting for a low cost - I assume this isn't a big job - shouldn't cost more than maybe £50 cash for a handy man or something?

Those photos don't tell us where the joists are.

You say "a plastic thing which is inside the ceiling" - it's definitely not a metal box?

Have you tried removing it to give you a bigger hole to find joists through?

Do you have access from above?

Is there an earth in the circuit?

What's that cloth-covered wire for?

Looks a bit of a mess.

Looks like a black enameled rear entry circular conduit box. I would hazard a guess at a 2BA imperial thread too.

Looks like someone has fitted a light in the past and bodged the fixings into the ceiling either side of the box (where no wood would be).

As BAS says - Is there an earth? Are the cables contained in the circular box the ones you are trying to wire to, or is it that nasty looking cable coming out the ceiling next to the circular box?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back