Can't Refill Rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

DIY nightmare here (not really just not hot on central heating pardon the pun).
I removed one rad to replaster a wall and after refitting can't get it to refill.
I closed both valves as per common sense, disconnected the pipes drained and all was going fine.
Replastered the wall refitted the rad to the wall and reconnected to pipes hey presto, actually no hey presto.
I open the air vent at the top undid the valve on the left but all I got was a very small sound of water then it stopped filling.
I checked the pressure on the CH but all was fine on the pressure front so I am well lost now.
I left if for a while and tried to open the valve again but nothing but a drip went in again.
All the other rads are fine getting hot as per the norm.
I have tried filling with the system on, off, using the left valve, right valve, both valves but nothing happens.
I have tried closing all the rads completely and tried filling it again but still nothing.
Any help would be good as our bathroom is more than chilly.
Look forward to some help.
Thanks.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Do we assume from your post you have a combi or system boiler as you mention the 'pressure'?

Hi,
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Bit more info for you:
Glowworm Combi Sytem
Bungalow so all one floor
Hot water working fine
Other 6 rads working fine.

Cheers.
Mark

Havyou got a drain valve on this radiator that you can open to check water is reaching it?

If not take it off and open each rad valve into a bucket.

Have you checked that your air bleed valve is actually opening and not blocked?

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave,

Thanks again for the reply.

Unfortunately the rads don't have a drain on them.

I have even tried totally removing the bleed valve but nothing!

When I did manage to get water to go in for the split second, the pipe went warm momenteraly as did the very bottom corner of the radiator so I think water is there.

Any ideas.

Mark

Hi again,

Should I be trying to bleed with the system running or off.

Also should I be filling with the left or right valve (temp knob was on right)

Cheers.

Mark

System should be off wile bleeding. Take bleed nipple right out and poke a pin in, then quickly put nipple back.

Thanks all for your info to date.

I will try when I get home from work and give an update tonight.
Cheers again.
Mark

Hi again,

I have turned off my system as instructed, cleaned out the bleed hole after removing the nipple, tried opening both valves but I get nothing at all through.
I again this morning opened the left hand valve to see what happened and I heard a small amount of water enter the rad then again it stopped (this was with the bleed valve open).
I just cant understand why it isn't coming through.
I have checked the top up of the system and it is over the 1.56bar that people seem to talk about, it infact is anything upto 2.8bar.
Any ideas.
Thanks in advance.

Mark

I would take rad off again then open valves one at a time into a bucket if you only get a trickle you may need new valve(s). Dont forget dust sheets :LOL:

Thanks for the info.
I will give it a go when I get home from work tomorrow.
What happens if I open a wtaer flows freely?
Cheers.
Mark

Thanks for the info.
I will give it a go when I get home from work tomorrow.
What happens if I open a wtaer flows freely?
Cheers.
Mark

Then, assuming that your bleed valve is OK, you have defied the laws of physics - well done!

lol yeh you shud see if u get water out with the rad out, could just be a block on the rad if you do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back