Can't Remove Bell Cover on Leaking Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to replace a washer on a leaky tap, I've got the handle off but can't remove the bell-shaped cover.

I've tried WD40 but it still won't budge. I've covered my spanner with a cloth but even that isn't preventing it marking the metal. The harder I try, the more I'm wrecking it.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks,

Kev

Sponsored Links
What would you suggest? A hair-drier or something?

Blow-torch maybe??? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ok - managed to undo it by wrapping elastic bands around it - gave me better grip. The tap is well corroded - I now can't undo the next bit!

Try a little heat, but keep it away from the sink. If not, remove tap, and put it in a vice to seperate 2 halves.

(re. your original problem: A 'Boa' wrench is great for undoing smooth sided items. The more you turn, the tighter it grips. Rubber strap won't damage anything either. Also available at Been & Queued. http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/BOAOPS.html )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back