Can't set Cruse control to 20 MPH, and not sure how accurate speedo is at that speed.

Sponsored Links
I've reported this to the police.
You're endangering other road users at that speed.
Everyone, including pedestrians have to make hazardous manoeuvres to pass you...
Pedestrians at 15 mph .. you speak for yourself mate, maybe 20 years ago in my case o_O

Just checked when I went out in it. 15mph.
And 18mph on the Golf.

IMG_1559.jpeg

Sponsored Links
My Ford KA+ cruise control can only start at 24MPH, I do use it for most travelling over that.
The speed Limiter however can only change in 5mp increments which is a PITA when I want to set it to say 33MPH.

15 mph merc gla.

I can set ours at 22 and still get the green smiley face from the 20mph awareness sign. (and the horn blown at me from the following car) who clearly thinks I'm a **** for not driving at 35 like most others do

Should we be using cruise control in a built up area ? Surely it is an area of driving that we should be 100% on the ball, not relaxing with cruise control, sipping coffee and listening to Vivaldii (not that I ever sip coffee or listen to Vivaldi when driving)

Bot I do use Cruise and often wonder if I should be in a built up area, I would argue it helps me not to speed, but I still have doubts if CC is the thing to be using? there is also a speed limiter which may be a better choice but I never use that.

My CC can be clicked on at 21/22, I make good use of it in most speed limited area
Should we be using cruise control in a built up area ? Surely it is an area of driving that we should be 100% on the ball, not relaxing with cruise control, sipping coffee and listening to Vivaldii (not that I ever sip coffee or listen to Vivaldi when driving)

I would suggest yes, it's fine to use CC. I can get to the brake faster on CC, than I can swap from accelerator over to the brake.

When the Flintshire county council put 20 MPH speed limits around schools they had signs with 20 in red and a black circle, and no end of speed limit, it seems they were unofficial and not allowed to repeat the 30 speed limit signs, and as the sun bleached the signs hard to see wrong colour, but was told at the time 20 MPH only enforceable if there are also traffic calming measures as well. However since then seen many with correct colours without traffic calming be it chicane or speed bumps, so not so sure that is still the case.

I find it disconcerting when bicycles over take one, it seems the speed limits do not apply to bikes, they can be done for peddling furiously but clearly not down the straight road Buckley to Ewloe where one can free wheel at 25 MPH.

It was put in the papers that the trail was scrapped, so no one seems to obey the new speed limits, and I find cars also over taking me at 20 so it makes the route more not less dangerous. I have no objections to 20 MPH past schools or in housing estates, but classified roads should not really be limited to below 30 MPH, and there are some very long straight classified roads which without some speed restrict device would be hard to maintain 20 MPH especially in an automatic car where engine speed does not relate to road speed.
I would question your driving ability if you can’t maintain a steady speed in a vehicle , manual or auto .Makes no difference .

I would question your driving ability if you can’t maintain a steady speed in a vehicle , manual or auto .Makes no difference .
With manual I can work out speed by sound of the engine, auto is a whole different matter, the Ford I had used an infinitely variable transmission, the engine speed would stay constant but the road speed would gradually increase, and the Jag has an eight speed box, and I have no idea which gear it has selected, so in both cases one has to rely on the speedo to know what speed you are doing.

And with the ebike it only shows the speed when using the motor, i.e. pedalling, when free wheeling it does not show speed, but at 30 MPH wind resistance means unlikely to exceed it without pedalling, but at 20 MPH easy to exceed the limit without pedalling.

And old vehicles unable to exceed 30 MPH often had no speedos, like tractors, rev counter yes, but no speedo, may as well go the whole hog and have the man with red flag back.

As to speed bumps, wife just has knee replaced, so have to go over them very slow, tick over in first gear low ratio, other drivers not amused as their cars don't have low ratio.

Last edited:
With manual I can work out speed by sound of the engine, auto is a whole different matter, the Ford I had used an infinitely variable transmission, the engine speed would stay constant but the road speed would gradually increase, and the Jag has an eight speed box, and I have no idea which gear it has selected, so in both cases one has to rely on the speedo to know what speed you are doing.

And with the ebike it only shows the speed when using the motor, i.e. pedalling, when free wheeling it does not show speed, but at 30 MPH wind resistance means unlikely to exceed it without pedalling, but at 20 MPH easy to exceed the limit without pedalling.

And old vehicles unable to exceed 30 MPH often had no speedos, like tractors, rev counter yes, but no speedo, may as well go the whole hog and have the man with red flag back.

As to speed bumps, wife just has knee replaced, so have to go over them very slow, tick over in first gear low ratio, other drivers not amused as their cars don't have low ratio.
You don’t have to “work out” your speed, that’s the job of the Speedo, just open your eyes when driving, much safer.

As to speed bumps, wife just has knee replaced, so have to go over them very slow, tick over in first gear low ratio
She might find it more comfortable if you roll over them at low speed rather than drive over them at the same low speed; less forward and backward lurching when one rolls over a bump and accepts the slight gravity driven slowing and accelerating rather than having the engine fight gravity in opposite directions on each side of the hump

Sponsored Links
Back