Can't stand the rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Potterton Suprima HE 50 is less than a year old. Two weeks after installation last year it died on us - timer controls were OK but boiler completely dead. Pottertons/Heatteam came out and replaced the fan, saying rain water had got in. I asked how to stop this happening again, guy just shrugged. So I posted on this site to see if anyone had heard of this happening and no one had, everyone else I spoke to was incredulous, so I took out boiler cover insurance with PowerGen.

Now it's happened again - got back from holidays, cold, tired, husband with flu, and boiler dead in the water. Called out PowerGen-recommended company, they diagnosed the same thing - rain water is getting in the flue because of where the house is situated (very exposed on a corner) and where the flue is (the only place it can be - coming out of the kitchen). They will not fix the fan until a rain guard is put in place.

Has anyone heard of this before? Are these rain guards easy to find/build?

Sponsored Links
Evelyn said:
Our Potterton Suprima HE 50 is less than a year old. Two weeks after installation last year it died on us - timer controls were ?

Hang on a minute. Isn't this a condensing boiler? Condensing boilers love rainwater down the flue :cool: Rainwater down the air intake is another matter :eek:

Can you perhaps take a photo of the the flue and add it on here for comments?

OK, at work so can't add photo, but by flue I mean the chunky white pipe with a black end that sticks out of the kitchen wall, where the condensing steam comes out. It sticks out quite a way, about 12 inches or more. As we were told it was a problem with rainwater getting onto the fan, I am guessing you are right, and it is water down the air intake bit of that?

Has anyone come across this before, and if so, how did they solve it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back