Can't turn key in PVC door.

X82

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need some help, I'm locked out!
Basically our door lock is one of those PVC door ones where you pull up the handle to engage the other locks on the door. It has 2 key slots, one in one out.
Last night I put the key in the inside lock to secure the door at night.
However, after unlocking this morning, I left the key inside the lock. I opened the door and went out and it banged shut. I tried my key I had in my pocket but although the key appears to go all the way in. It wont turn.

Anyone have any ideas? Before I use a 24/hr locksmith and pay through the nose. Is it because there is a key inside the other lock already?
Or could my key be defective (It's a new cut one I've had for a week).

Sponsored Links
I'm 99% certain its because the key is in the other side, you'll find the key doesn't go right in, probably a millimetre :(

May be time for a locksmith, the lock might need drilling to get it to turn but it may turn out to be an anti drill cylinder so you'll need cobalt drill bits, you may not have any and on a sunday you probably won't be able to buy any - locksmiths should have them. It could be that the lock needs snapping but if its an anti snap cylinder then your in the poo street.

Unless you get a locksmith replying here with good advice and a fix you can do yourself then i think its time for the yellow pages - either that of ring your buildings insurer up and claim, they'll have contractors waiting on standby 24/7 just for mishaps like these

Scrape the end of your key on the wall or floor just to blunt the end and it will work

Sponsored Links
Done one yesterday, as long as the locks haven't been engaged you just need to prize the door open where the latch is, use a flat bar or bolster and gently prize the door sash away from the frame, surprising how easy it is. Or like god said scrap the key or a little tap with the hammer on the outside key sometimes knocks the inner one out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back