Cap off gas mains whilst building in progress...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
This is my first post on here and hopefully there will be someone out there who can help me with my project...

I am planning on adding an extension to the side of my property but in order to do this I have to divert the gas main to the house around the perimeter od the new extension - I have read several posts on here stating the regs recommend doing this.

I need the gas folks to come out and install a temporary 'cap' on my mains whilst I have built to a suitable point where they can re-instate my meter.

No Problems so far..... (I think!)

I also want to add another property on to side where there is ample area for a good sized property..

Will the gas board come and add me a 'tee' in to the new mains they are laying to be tapped in to at a later point.. to save ripping up the patio I am laying as part of my extension plans...?

Sponsored Links
And this is also my first post :)

If the second property you plan to build is truly going to be a second property, registered and conveyed as something completely separate, I think it’s highly unlikely that the gas company will tee off an existing supply (although this is common in older properties). The new property will require its own supply and meter.

Moving and/or extending utilities can cost a fortune, however requesting a new supply isn’t necessarily that expensive by comparison.

It would be more likely that the new property would have its own gas supply directly from the main in the road. I expect that would also be a cheaper option to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back