capacitors advice please

yaaay, it lives !!!

new cap (400v 40uf) & it roared back into life !!! :)

I think the motor maybe running slightly faster, but that might be bad memory... :oops: or just a really old foobar cap that was dying slowly...

:D

nowt wrong with your memory mate on PSC motors the start winding becomes an auxiliary winding that supplements the run winding once started (which is why the cap values are carefully matched to the motor) so yes it will run better with a healthy cap

Sponsored Links
so yes it will run better with a healthy cap

that's good to know... I'm glad it worked, but it being faster did concern me wether i'd done something wrong or if it was speeding up to go bang lol :) I've to be honest & say while i understand they store energy for instant release, i don't say i fully understand them & there effects / uses...

nowt wrong with your memory mate

still think the missus might disagree, sure there was some washing up to be done /shhhh :)

thanks m8

Sponsored Links
Hi BAS,

thanks for the hint lol..

a quick google search explained quite alot, having had a problem with the cap & seen almost exactly the result below, i can understand the following better

CIVIL

in a C(capacitor) the I(current) leads the V(voltage). So when the voltage is falling, I<0.

always nice to have an understanding of things, rather than just get them fixed. even tho getting them fixed was the point :)

The basic equations for capacitors and inductors are

For capacitors
I=C dV/dt

For inductors
V=L dI/dt

From theese equations thier behaviour under different types of circuit can be analysed through a variety of mathematical techniques.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back