CAPPING hate putting on this stuff (is it just me?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hate putting metal capping on to cover cables .
I know we have to do it ..but banging fingers! nails jumping out .. capping pops off grrrrrrrrrrrr any easier ways????

Sponsored Links
Don't remember it actually being a requirement, but fully agree, what a bag 'o' ****e!!!!

Sponsored Links
nope. it doesn't qualify as earthed metalic covering and will not stop a nail or screw.
it's only there to protect against the plasterers trowel.

I hate the stuff too. I'd rather chase in conduit to be honest! To make matters worse, there's a lot of c**p on the market which splits when you nail it on.

Agreed. Capping is not mandatory and can be considered as a big long cable cleat.

Did you try the plastic capping? Much easier to deal with. Oval cable conduit good too but needs more wall chasing.

I, er, never do it as am not an electrician. But if I did, I'd screw into mortar each side of it, thus wedging the capping in place. Always works for me, by which I mean it would do if I did it!

I use it where there is thermolite block to fix cable to, like one long cable cleat, and i use 2" nails driven at an angle to secure it.

Otherwise, on brick walls etc i tend to just clip it on, I tend to use LSF a lot which is much more resilient to damage from plasterers trowels anyway.

much more resilient to damage from plasterers trowels anyway.
I was going to post on the "plasterers trowel" comment yesterday & held off but this bloody comment has come up again. Where does this “plasterer’s trowel” damage myth come from; what on earth do you think we guys do, chisel away at your cables until they bleed! There is absolutely no possible way on this earth any plasterer will even mark a twin & earth cable when plastering let alone damage it.

I get involved with many aspects of building & capping is not difficult fix, it’s just a case of using the right size & some plasterboard or masonry nails staggered either side to hold it in place. I always use steel capping over plastic because it gives some protection against DIY dick heads with a picture, a hammer & some nails or a masonry drill bit which won’t easily go thought it. The fact that it comes to a halt may give just an inkling for the penny to drop that there is something under there, maybe enough time to prevent permanently damaging the cables; but of course if you push hard enough for long enough then anything is possible.

So come on, steel capping is not a requirement (although I think it should be) & you might not like fitting it but don’t cop out & blame it on plasterers! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back