Capping off TRV valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My plasterer has removed my radiator, I want to cap off the TRV valve as not fully shut off and it still leaks a little. I ve used a 1/2inch brass end cap with PFTE tape but this is still dripping when I repressurise the system. I ve read about putting either a washer/ coin or fibre washer in end which will help.

Unfortunatley I have none of these, its BH sun and nowhere is open and I would dearly like to have a shower and currently cant have hot water!

So I have been searching my house for something I could use|:
I ve seen a trick about using a coin? the you tube video I saw showed a 5p piece but this is really small; so question is does it have to be an exact fit?
The other thing I have found that fits is an O-ring can I use this?

Please excuse the lazyness and blondeness of asking rather than trying myself. I have spent all day filling and draining the system, got wet walls/ floors and me from trying so many things, so just hoping for a right answer now :( dam plasterer wish he thought to do this himself!!!!

Sponsored Links
When the TRV is on the lowest setting, usually a * for frost, there is still a gap between the top of the pin and the bottom of the head's inside. So you need something to fill this gap and push the pin down and close the valve.

Anything which is round and flat and can fit inside the valve head will do, e.g a coin.

Set the TRV head to Maximum before replacing it on the body. Then turn the head down slowly until it won't go any further.

Thanks, what I am asking about coin is does it need to be an exact fit? e.g a 5p is too small diameter and rattles inside? as is penny! currently going through my foreign coin collection!

Thanks, what I am asking about coin is does it need to be an exact fit? e.g a 5p is too small diameter and rattles inside? as is penny! currently going through my foreign coin collection!
It doesn't have to be an exact fit. You could hold it in place using a bit of BluTack.

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to cap off the connection to the radiator tail (Washer inside cap and PTF tape) or hold down the pin on the valve (Coin inside decorators cap which comes with valve--but usually has gone AWOL--in which case refit valve top over a coin)?

I believe the radiator tail. The TRV is holding down the pin, so I have capped off the pipe where the radiator would go. Unfort even with a washer, PTFE tape there is still a slight dribble, not enough to worry about, but when I repressurise the system and try hot water the boiler makes such a terrible noise I would rather have cold showers! I suspect it is air in the system but not going to risk anymore trying!
Just need to decide what colour I m going to paint wall, do that bit put radiator back on then get someone round to check boiler and system is ok. Unfort I ve now noticed also something under the boiler has a slight leak where a flexi hose goes round. Arggh who thought a bit of plastering would cause such problems!

Tighten more. (Hold valve with a wrench).
Use both methods---belt & braces--TVR fully closed with additional coin.

Deffo went for the belt and braces approach, its barely a drop a minute thats coming out that not a worry. I think the noises that are coming from the boiler is my problem now. Refilled it to just over 1 bar but does nt sound good Probabaly trapped air or something! and we all know what thats like ha ha! will leave to pro's me thinks! dont want to be causing problems with my boiler

When refilling the boiler you may need to bleed the rads, starting from the bottom ones and working up to the highest bleed valve. Checking boiler pressure as you go and then finally checking boiler pressure after last rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back