Car battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I own a petrol 01 mk4 fiesta and on monday after the cold weekend the battery was flat and I needed a jump start. I cleaned the windscreen on the sunday so had the door open and the interior light on with the radio for about an hour. The bloke who came out said that I should buy a new battery the same day as it must be dodgy but I just drove it for about an hour to try and charge it up. Is it likely that with being 8 years old I need a new battery or should I get it checked for free somewhere first? It's started ok since. He made me sign to say that he's advised me to get a new one so does that mean if I break down again with the same problem the breakdown cover is invalid?

Sponsored Links
After 8 years Andy the battery owes you nowt...but if you take the car to a motor factors, they will test it for you with a heavy discharge meter, and they will be delighted to sell you a new one.....they will also check the charging voltage, which should be 14.4 volts.
John :)

8 years for a car battery is very good, but I would advise having the high discharge test done, you need a good battery with the weather we are having at the moment, any failure could be at the most inconvenient time.

Wotan

If it goes flat after a hour with the lights on, it needs replacing. Modern batteries are made with a very large plate area, a lot of very thin plates, as a result of which they will still start the car with probably 10% of their original capacity but with little reserve. Eight years is a very good age for a battery, pension it off and fit a new one.

Sponsored Links
Get a Citroen C4, after half an hour playing t'wireless, the whole electrical system shuts down and the car enters "economy mode" until the engine is cranked again. :rolleyes: Sounds a good idea, but its ****in annoying. :LOL:

I've had countress cars over the last 37 years and experience tells me that an 8 year old battery is ready to fail anytime. If it shows signs of failing, you can charge it off the car, have discharge tests done, pop magic tablet into it to strengthen the acid etc, etc but it will fail in the near future. My advise is get a new one before it lets you down.

my advise is, if it keeps starting, leave it alone, just don`t have the radio and lights on for long amount of times without the engine running, but batteries do suffer in the winter, and yours sounds as if it is giving up a little bit, but i`d personally just wait till it gives up

It is probably going to be a silver calcium type battery for an 01 fiesta, the charging voltage is a tad higher at 14.8v

Sponsored Links
Back