car overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi every one,

Could someone, please, shed a light on how an engine overheating system on Nissan Micra (Tekna) 2008 work?

My car ,during a recent summer day, stopped suddenly without any prior warning but started again after a cool-down . This car, unlike my previous Micra, does not have any temperature gauge on the dash and I am very much perplexed as to how it could have been prevented as I did not not see any warning signs beforehand. For any unexpected and sudden engine cut out can be quite risky and dangerous as one would imagine. Any comments/thoughts, please.

Sponsored Links
Your Micra has a very cold (blue) lamp on the dash which illuminates in the depths of winter, and this lamp extinguishes itself as the car warms up.
Sometimes this lamp is never seen by the owner. Anyway, this same lamp glows red if there's an overheat situation....did yours do this?
What I'm getting at is did the car fail due to actual overheating, or coincidentally when the engine was hot did it cut out? I would think that this would be due to some sensor problem - in particular the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors.
John :)

Your Micra has a very cold (blue) lamp on the dash which illuminates in the depths of winter, and this lamp extinguishes itself as the car warms up.
Sometimes this lamp is never seen by the owner. Anyway, this same lamp glows red if there's an overheat situation....did yours do this?
What I'm getting at is did the car fail due to actual overheating, or coincidentally when the engine was hot did it cut out? I would think that this would be due to some sensor problem - in particular the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors.

Thank you, John, for your reply.
You have indeed raised a couple of interesting questions:

I now couldn't be sure whether it was an overheat or camshaft sensor failure. However , I am inclined to think it was former. I would , now onwards, keep an eye on the dash too for any ominous signs that might surface.
Could you clarify that when the red lamp glows is it a solid red or a flashing red? For I had always noted on a dashboard, a small symbolically looking car silhouetted in red and always flashing before start of engine and disappearing immediately afterwards.

Regards.

When the car is very cold, there is a blue, non flashing light on the dash, which may be in the symbol of a thermometer.
When the ignition is first turned on, I believe the lamp flashes once to show that alls well, but I'm not absolutely certain about this.
If the car overheats when driving, the lamp glows red continuously, no flashing.

Sponsored Links
When the car is very cold, there is a blue, non flashing light on the dash, which may be in the symbol of a thermometer.
When the ignition is first turned on, I believe the lamp flashes once to show that alls well, but I'm not absolutely certain about this.
If the car overheats when driving, the lamp glows red continuously, no flashing.

Many thanks for your time and the very useful input.

Regards.

Back