Car port with door in a leasehold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I bought my leasehold property April 2021.

The property has a car port. The carport has a trifold door thingy.

The lease says I cannot build where my car port is (on my drive filling the gap between my house and my neighbors).

I want to try and put and new door on, but I'm slightly concerned about of the carport and door should be there anyway.

I've asked the leasehold agent...who says they haven't had my paperwork that I own the property yet.

Could I argue it's a like for like replacement?

Sponsored Links
If the old door is unauthorised so will the new one. How long has the carport been there, it may be too late for your freeholder to object.

Blup

Sponsored Links
If the old door is unauthorised so will the new one. How long has the carport been there, it may be too late for your freeholder to object.

Blup
Not sure. A good few years judging by the state of it! How many years do they have to object? If, if I replaced it could they not object at that?

If you have entered into a lease you have leased what's there when the lease was signed and can maintain it, renewing as necessary without it being a breach.

Btw, there is no time limit for a breach of a lease to be enforced, but that don't apply here.

You need to concentrate on the exact wording of the lease, as "no building" (if that is what it says) may have different meanings depending on the context.

It's also possible to get permission to vary lease conditions and make improvements. Permission can not be unreasonably withheld.

If the landlord has left it too late to object (presumably 12 years) then replacing the door cant be a problem.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back