car sitting for years

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all im looking for information, i have a 2000 renault scenic that has been sitting in my garden for at least 3 years without being started i want to get it up and running again, i am going to change the battery, brakes, spark plugs and oil and filters is there anything else you think i should do to get it going it was running fine before, its just i dont want to throw money at it if its a lost cause.

Sponsored Links
hi all im looking for information, i have a 2000 renault scenic that has been sitting in my garden for at least 3 years without being started i want to get it up and running again, i am going to change the battery, brakes, spark plugs and oil and filters is there anything else you think i should do to get it going it was running fine before, its just i dont want to throw money at it if its a lost cause.

Tyres. Any that have sat flat for a long time are proberbly unsafe, as are any which are now too old and or have cracks in them. Depends on there ago when the car was last used, but you may be after a full set of new or part worn tyres.

I would start by getting the battery on charge, checking all the fluid levels, and trying to turn it over, using jump leads to power it from another vehical if you dont have a charger or the battery appears not to be responding. I expect it will proberbly just start and drive. If it doesnt I would run the petrol out (disconnect the fuel filter and turn the ignition on to get the pump to run, may take some time if theres lots in there) and put 5l of fresh in and try again.

I would then give it a good clean and book it for an MOT at the local garage, making sure I used the brakes plenty on the driver over, including trailing the handbrake a bit from time to time.

Assuming that all goes well, I would then as you say, give it a service in the form of an oil/filters/plug change.

Interested to see what others say.

Daniel

I would do the bare minimum to get it running. Once you have it running you might find that some or all of the brakes have seized on, you won't know until you try to move it. That's also when you might discover that the clutch has seized too.
Spend as little as possible to get it going and, take it from there.

Not a big Renault fan, but if we can help, just ask. Not sure about Renault Ireland now that Bill Cullen has stepped aside, but up until recently new parts were readily available.
Your local breaker will have a few for cheap parts.

Get it running check for coolant leaks after the heavy frosts and don't put to much into it until you get the first NCT failure sheet. Then, decide whether its wort the cost of fixing it. Not sure whether petrol or diesel, if petrol watch for perished fuel lines around the engine. Petrol is highly flammable, especially parked close to the house.

You will have to have it respectable looking for the test, good seat washed especially underneath, wipers, lights etc etc, oh check steel brake pipes for corrosion? If steel they might want to be treated before the test as new ones for the retest will be expensive. No rust holes in the bodywork, or fill them for the first test or you will have to weld for the retest.

Going to cost a bit for the basics, so check donedeal.ie to see what its worth going/NCT'd?

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Spend nowt until you've got it running, and even then be careful....
Fresh fuel will be essential if its a petrol engine, so use a donor battery to see if you get fuel pressure to the engine and take it from there.
See that there is oil in the engine, just clean the plugs if you need to.
Hopefully the immobiliser will allow you to try - its on the key on these.
John :)

thanks lads will try get it running if not its off to the breakers yard with it, ill let you know how i get on ,once again many thanks.

Back