Renault Scenic Pulling to the left under braking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a 2003 Renault Scenic 1.4 (old shape), which is pulling to the left under medium braking.

Light braking, it's fine, heavy braking, it's fine, but under medium braking, it seems to dive down a bit at the front, along with wallowing off to the left.

The car continues on dead straight when not braking, so tracking etc seems OK.

The only issue I've been able to see is the right front wheel has about an inch and a half less clearance between the wheel arch and the tyre than the left. I thought that this was going to be the shock absorbers needing a replacement, but I've taken it to Kwik Fit who have checked the suspension, track rods etc, but haven't found anything - they acknowledge that there is a problem though and advised me to take to a main dealer - they want £85 for the diagnostic though!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
It's not the skock absorbers that control the ride height, it's the springs. To measure the ride height; measure from the top of the wheel arch on the wing to the ground. Do it at either side and compare the results.
If your car is pulling to the left, the chances are that you have a problem with the right side side brake. Start by taking the right front wheel off and inspecting the braking system, report back with the result.
If you take the wheels off, look at the springs/suspension too.

Thanks - I've already looked at the right brake - the pads and disc had been replaced about 8 months ago anyway, but they are still in good nick.

Took the caliper off too and checked that it wasn't sticking and all seemed well - rubber in good condition.

Thanks for the info on the ride height possibly being the springs rather than the shocks. Will check this eve and report back, but I could just get my 4 fingers in between the top of the wheel and the arch on the right hand side, but there was at least 1.5 inches of fresh air on the left.

Kwik fit had got 3 of their guys looking at it including the MOT guy, and they couldn't work out what was wrong. I'm fairly sure it's not the brakes, but will have a good feel of the springs this evening.

Sponsored Links
IME many French cars regularly eat their own coil springs, with the odd half turn or so breaking off the ends of both OEM and pattern replacements. The usual results are odd ride heights and road manners.

Back